Skip Navigation Links   /   Home   /   Community   /   Cemetery and memorials

Lyme Regis Cemetery

We own and manage the town cemetery, which is located on Charmouth Road. The cemetery opened on 16 November 1856 and there are approximately 3570 grave sites, with a further 70 plots for ashes.

Full burial plots and ashes plots are available for both residents and non-residents, although double fees apply to non-residents. Requests for burials and installation of memorials are usually made through a funeral director or memorial mason but can be made directly to the council. Requests to reserve a plot are usually made directly to the council.

The cemetery chapel is available for services but space is limited.

Please contact us on 01297 445175 or admin@lymeregistowncouncil.gov.uk to discuss your requirements.

View cemetery fees and information for 2018/19.

Brief history

Following serious erosion at the graveyard around St Michael’s Parish Church, the land for the town cemetery was purchased and consecrated in 1856, later being extended and consecrated in 1935.

The paths were formerly wide enough for horse-drawn carriages, with driveways encircling both chapels, but these were narrowed and used for graves before the cemetery was extended.

Graves of note include those of the Philpot sisters, who had a significant collection of fossils and often worked with pioneering palaeontologist Mary Anning.

Trees and shrubs are planted at random in the older parts but many more were planted in commemoration of the coronation of King George VI in 1937.

Burial records

We hold detailed records of burials in the town cemetery dating back to 1856. The research team at Lyme Regis Museum has carried out a detailed survey of the cemetery and assists in answering enquiries from the public.

Please contact us on 01297 445175 or admin@lymeregistowncouncil.gov.uk with details of your enquiry and we will do our best to find the information in the records.

Please note we do not hold records for the burial area around St Michael's Parish Church; these records are held by Dorset History Centre. More details can be found on their website.